Saturday, March 19, 2011

New writing project, I shall call it: A novel(la?)

So it's been a while since I've posted on here, but I'm planning to start recording updates for a project I've been working on for the past couple years. I'm working on my first novel(la?). I'm sure that it suffers from all of the cliche descriptors I can attach to it, but I have some confidence in the writing itself. I think the most obvious correlations will be Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and (I know, I know, cliche as hell) Salinger's Catcher in the Rye.

When people ask me what it's about, I don't have an easy time answering. As I continue to write, I find that the story, the plot, is happening kind of organically (god I hate that word... it fits though), and my focus in writing it is more of capturing perspective as I've encountered it. Which isn't to say that this is an autobiography - a lot if it is fiction. It's the experience of perspective which I'm trying to be most honest about.

In terms of progress, I have what I'm considering the majority of the content written - at this point it's a little over 59,000 words. I'm in kind of a revision mode right now, but I'm finding that I come across some inspiration as I have words to which to react, so I'm continuing to add and edit as I read.

If people are interested, I'll dig through my more polished pages and put up an excerpt. I'm not expecting a whole lot of demand for writing from my demographic though. I'm sure there's plenty of it going around hahh.

So in the words of Charlie Sheen,
Go

-joe

No comments:

Post a Comment